A resolution is an intention, not a plan. Many people at the start of the New Year jump into action – any type of action – without thinking or investing time to create a clear sustainable plan.
Many studies have been done on the top 10 New Year’s Resolutions and they were:
- Improve financial situation
- Lose weight
- Develop a healthy habit (eating, exercise)
- Change employment
- Develop a regular saving plan
- Break an unhealthy habit (smoking, alcohol, overeating)
- Spend more time with family and friends
- Get organised
- Develop a new skill or talent
This top 10 list doesn’t vary much each year. Why is that? It’s because we set the intention but we don’t plan to implement it.
What we need to stick to our new year’s resolutions is willpower. We need to give our New Year’s Resolution an action. For example, if you want to lose weight then the action may be walk 3 days a week. It is all about the small new habits we want to develop.