I don’t know about you, but for a period of time, I just didn’t want to get anything wrong or make a mistake. Boy, how that one desire restricted my life. It restricted what I could achieve, how far I stretched and kept me in my safety and comfort zone.
Then one day I had a mind switch and realised the more mistakes I make, the more I learn, the bigger my comfort zone, the more I can achieve. I started to look at mistakes and failures as part of my expansion, as part of being able to achieve everything that I wanted to achieve.
You may have heard the story of this famous figure before. However, I would love to share it again.
- Failed in business, 1831
- Defeated for legislature, 1832
- Second failure in business, 1833
- Defeated for speaker, 1838
- Defeated for elector, 1840
- Defeated for congress, 1843
- Defeated for congress again, 1848
- Defeated for senate, 1855
- Defeated for vice president, 1856
- Defeated for senate again, 1858
- Elected President of the United States of America, 1860
It is Abraham Lincoln. What if Abraham Lincoln just gave up at some point in his journey? This journey was nearly 30 years in the making. What kept him persisting, never giving up, and seeing every step as part of the journey?
Perhaps we should just keep trying more often. Never underestimate your power to achieve what you desire. Take a chance; life is there for you to design. What is it you want to achieve? Embrace and be very proud of all your mistakes, it is from here you learn your greatest lessons and grow.